- This event has passed.
Fat Bike Gran Fondo!
April 1 @ 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM$15 - $20
PLEASE NOTE THE STARTING LINE HAS BEEN MOVED
TO THE TAKHINI HOT SPRINGS
RESCHEDULED: On Saturday April 1st, CMBC is hosting a 40km Fat Bike Gran Fondo. The ride will start in the Ibex Valley at 10am and will follow snow packed trail to the finish at Takhini Hot Pools.
WHO CAN RIDE THIS EVENT? Anyone with a fat bike (aka snow bike) can ride this event. If you don’t have one you should borrow from a friend or rent/buy from a local bike shop! :) There will be a variety of levels and experience out on the trial, and a variety of speeds. Some people will try to go as fast as they can, some won’t, that’s the beauty of a ‘Fondo’ it’s all about the ride. The goal is fun and with that on your side you can make the event what you’d like it to be!
WHAT IS A GRAN FONDO? By definition a Gran Fondo is a cycling event that is usually point-to-point along a route that is closed to all other traffic. Classically these events are road cycling events, but have evolved to other types of cycling (like fat biking! yahoo!). Generally the event is geared not only towards ‘racers’ but to all level of cyclists who want to participate.
WHEN? April 1st. Registration starts at 9am. Ride starts at 10am. You’ll need to sign in, pay (cash only), and sign a waiver when you arrive. Cost is $15 for members, $20 for non-members. ***Bring your CMBC Membership number, if you don’t know it, you will be considered a non-member***.
WHERE? The start is approximately 50 km North from Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway, between the Takhini River Bridge and the Kusawa Lake Road. Once you pass the Takhini River Bridge, you will have to drive 5-10 min until you see the sign for the parking spot on the right side of the highway.
- bag drop will be available at the start – to transport your extra warm and dry layers to the finish
- the route will be snow machine packed and has had dog sled traffic, there will also be flagging marking the way
- there will be an aid station en route at the 25km mark, with safety check-in (and snacks!)
- at the finish Takhini Hot Pools and Cafe Balzam are both offering a 20% discount to Fondo participants
- Takhini Hot Pools will have a safe bike storage area, but if you are nervous about leaving a bike while you go get your vehicle maybe bring a lock
- there will be a shuttle from the finish back to the start (note, this shuttle can not accommodate bikes) so that you can get back to your vehicle
- ski patrol will be available in case of emergency
- there is an ‘extraction’ / departure point at the 25km mark
- there will be ‘sweep’ rider(s) on course following behind the last rider
- the event will be cancelled if temp is below -25 or above +5, or if conditions are deemed impassible
- please don’t litter at all ever, and please be your kind courteous selves while on the course and at the event, give volunteers and hosts high fives!
- No dogs please